Hot on the heels of last week’s helmet launch, time has come to pull back the curtains and reveal the 2016 Troy Lee Designs apparel and protection collection. And what a collection it is. From XC to DH, from soberly understated to brash and bold, there is something here for everybody. And far from just a bunch of new colors, there are plenty of design improvements and innovation to discover as well. We’ve been putting in the miles with the new kit already, jump right in to find out how we’ve been getting along!
2016 Troy Lee Designs ACE
When Troy Lee sets out to do XC kit, you can be sure it’s not going to turn into a spandex fest. The “Premium Fitted Trail” cut is TLD’s tightest wearing gear set, which also features what may well be the world’s lightest baggy short. Without any adjusters or other superfluous features, you have to pull it on to believe just how light it feels. Best worn with the new ACE bib liner for extra uphill power.
2016 Troy Lee Designs ACE Highlights & News
ACE Jersey improvements for 2016
- Full length YKK zipper up front.
- New material, higher grade/premium 100% polyester that is softer and wicks moisture better.
- Relaxed waist opening to be more compatible with the new ACE short and ACE Bib.
- 3 pocket rear with center zip stash pocket.
- An all-new super mesh ACE bib, called ACE AIR BIB, specifically designed for the new ACE trail shorts.
- No more side waist adjusters.
- ACE shorts will be available for the first time as a shell only short or with the new mesh AIR bib.
NEW AIR Bib shorts
- TLD’s most ventilated bib short, specifically designed as a base layer for use under trail kit.
- Small front bib strap pocket for small items.
- Large center pocket for a bottle or tube or other accessories.
ACE Bib shorts
- New premium fabric and flat lock seams, providing a comfortable compression feel.
- New premium anti-microbial chamois pad.
- Rear water bottle pocket and front stash pocket.
- “TLD starburst” silicone gripper print on leg band.
*NEW ‘AIR’ Baselayers, all new for 2016 are 2 new mesh base layers:
- 95% Polyester/5% Spandex.
- Flat lock stitching inside and out provides a compression fit without chaffing.
- Four way stretch poly/spandex blend of moisture wicking fabric.
- Regulates body temperature and is ideal for warm conditions, but TLD says athlete testing proved they are a great all year piece in your arsenal.
2016 Troy Lee Designs Skyline
Skyline is a long-standing classic in the TLD line-up. Designed for all manner of bike riding, it fits straight into the “Trail” category but can easily be used for anything from long XC jaunts to All Mountain sessions with your buddies. Looser than ACE, tighter than Ruckus, the Skyline is a perennial favorite that we often reach for when the trails beckon.
When it comes to graphics, the Skyline collection includes a little bit of everything, from subdued to colorful. The shorts are adjustable and feature 2 pockets for stashing your essentials, and the two heavy duty buttons paired with a Velcro fly make sure your shorts stay on even if you go heavy on the post-ride cake.
New for this year is Skyline Race, a premium version of Skyline with more features.
Check out Brendog and Olly Wilkins getting down to business in the new kit right here:
2016 Troy Lee Designs Skyline Highlights & News
The SKYLINE RACE “Full Feature Trail” category was introduced last season in the form of just a short, now there’s a jersey to go with it as well.
- New fabric blend that has a softer feel and faster drying.
SKYLINE RACE Jersey
- 5” Front Zipper.
- Same fit as the Skyline jersey.
- 100% Polyester Mesh fabric.
- Zipper pocket on back.
- Silicone gripper design on back to aid in keeping a loaded pocket steady, also helps keep hydration pack in place.
- Embossed tone on tone TLD logo, for a more subdued look.
SKYLINE RACE Shorts
- Same trail shorts as 2015, with new graphic designs to accompany the new jerseys. Skyline race short comes with a inner liner chamois pad.
2016 Troy Lee Designs Ruckus
When things get rowdier, reach for Ruckus. Designed primarily for All Mountain use, Ruckus provides more room than Skyline, and is made with slightly heavier-duty materials. If you’re looking for the one true do-it-all kit in the collection, Ruckus is it.
The jersey features a 3/4 cut that we’ve always been big fans of, and it’s made with materials that can take a beating but are still breathable enough for those who have to earn their turns. The jersey also gains additional storage for 2016. As for the short, it offers 3 storage pockets, two of which are zippered, and comes with TLD’s premium padded chamois liner.
We’ve been riding Ruckus for several years by now, and the 2016 edition is one of the most feature-rich to date. It’s been holding up well so far too!
2016 Troy Lee Designs Ruckus Highlights & News
- New performance 100% polyester fabric.
- New dual rear pocket storage addition, strategically placed to reduced gear movement and jersey sway.
- Seams have been flattened and mesh side panels added.
- All new liner short added, featuring TLD AIR mesh material, and improved chamois pad.
RUCKUS Sleeveless Baselayer
- This new piece was developed with TLD’s EWS athletes, born out of the need for a technical, slim yet functional baselayer.
- Seamless, compression fit base layer.
- Engineered fabric with strategic ventilation areas.
- 3 pocket rear, positioned higher than normal to not interfere with shorts or pants.
- Perforated neoprene top with a newly engineered TPR bristle design knuckle guard.
- AX Suede Palm with embossed pattern and synthetic leather.
- Touch screen compatible.
- Shock absorbent outside palm cushion.
- Seamless rolled fingertips for added comfort.
2016 Troy Lee Designs Sprint
If you know racing, you know Sprint. Look no further than to the 2015 overall World Cup DH winner, Aaron Gwin, for a preview of what you might look like on your local podium. Needless to say, freeriders and park rats are big fans too.
2016 Troy Lee Designs Sprint Highlights & News
Apart from new designs (several of which match the new helmet graphics), there have been minor improvements made to the Sprint line for 2016:
- 100% polyester main fabric with 4-way stretch collar.
- Newly added vented stretch mesh in key areas.
- Slim line Velcro wrist strap.
- Breathable yet durable mesh upper.
- Reflective screen printing on top hand.
- Articulated fingers and finger webbing for dialed fit.
- Silicone print on braking fingers.
- Touch screen compatible.
- Youth sizes.
2016 Troy Lee Designs Moto
Another classic on the Troy Lee menu is Moto, a super-heavy-duty short built for those who ride hard and who are not afraid to hit the dirt. For 2016, the family grows with the addition of a dedicated jersey.
The Moto short retains all its burliness, but gains a little sophistication for 2016 with bonded zipper pockets. Built-in foam panels help protect your hips, while the stretch yoke and crotch area give the short a comfortable fit.
The Moto jersey is a simpler affair, made from 100% polyester it features long sleeves and has no pockets. Gone are the days of the flappy freeride fit however, as the Moto jersey offers just enough room for body armor, but not an inch more.
2016 Troy Lee Designs Moto Highlights & News
- Freeride inspired design to be loose fitting yet raceable.
- 100% polyester moisture wicking fabric.
- TLD TPR logo on color for a premium look and feel.
- Updated 4-way ribbed robust spandex in crotch and yoke.
- New bonded zipper pockets, easier to use w/refined look.
2016 Troy Lee Designs Wheels
No, TLD does not make wheels now – the Wheels collection is the name given to the the company’s line of casual/riding hybrid wear. With everything from boardshorts to polo shirts, there’s even a flannel addition for 2016 to give you that lumberjack vibe when heading out for post-ride beverages. It works well for digging too, so no more excuses!
2016 Troy Lee Designs Wheels Highlights & News
- Board short inspired external draw string waist adjustment.
- 4-way stretch added for improved fit and function on and off the bike.
- 4-way stretch button down.
- Custom TLD designed sublimated flannel pattern in 2 colors.
- Poly/Spandex blend for total freedom when riding.
- Hidden snaps reduce bulk and allow for better packability.
- Rear storage pocket for your personal items.
- Embroidered TLD logo on front chest pocket.
- Quick-dry poly/cotton blend.
- Short sleeve casual ride polo.
- TLD designed neck fabric reduces irritation.
2016 Troy Lee Designs Women’s Collection
Troy Lee hasn’t forgotten about the ladies who shred, and there are plenty of new 2016 designs and new features for the women to drool over too.
2016 Troy Lee Designs Women’s Collection Highlights & News
NEW ACE Glove
- Based on our best selling ACE men’s glove, but a more precise fit for women’s hands.
Women’s SKYLINE Jersey – completely redesigned for 2016
- Lycra rear neck panel for ease of entry and comfort.
- Classic V-neck design that is perfect for riding, but also has a fashion story to it.
- Softer polyester fabric than past skyline jerseys that feels nicer on the body, with better moisture wicking qualities than before as well.
Women’s SKYLINE shorts
- Newly introduced last year, TLD decided to add in elastic waist adjusters to further dial in the fit, and offer it in more colors than 2015.
Women’s MOTO jersey
- This is close to just a name change from last years Women’s Skyline Long sleeve, but, improving the neckline and tapering the fit, TLD decided to still call it the Moto, a classic name in the line-up.
2016 Troy Lee Designs Protection
Troy Lee goes D3O for 2016 with the introduction of the all-new RAID and SPEED pads. In addition to the soft-yet-hard-on-impact magic material, the RAID pads also get a new “Fit-Lock” retainer system that sits above the calf area. We’re currently testing the new protection line and we’ll have a full feature up for you shortly.
2016 Troy Lee Designs Protection Highlights & News
RAID KNEE Guard
- TLD’s new premier gravity/bike park protection, developed with their elite riders over the 2015 season.
- New ‘FIT-LOCK’ system built into the calf area, strategically placed to lock above the upper portion of the calf.
- TLD engineered aggressive D3O knee cup for impact protection.
- A seamless back panel for all day comfort and breathability.
- Flex gusset for articulation.
- 1pc stretch abrasion panel for knee-thigh articulation.
- 1621-1:2012 “K” Type A level 1 certified.
SPEED ELBOW and SPEED KNEE Guards
- Completely new to the line is the SPEED series of light trail protection, offered in a super slim knee version and elbow.
- Slim fit D3O.
- Speed elbow features abrasion resistant technical mesh on inner arm for breathability and comfortable fit.
T-BONE KNEE Guards
- Redesigned in 2014, TLD added some improvements for 2016.
- Added to the thickness of the EVA padding on the sides of the pad.
- Updated the pull tabs with injection molded Velcro.
- CE certified.
- Updated graphics to go in line with the new family of premium protection.
2016 Troy Lee Designs Tailgate Pad
Troy Lee themselves will be the first to admit they took too long to get this one done, but it looks like it was probably worth the wait. Now you can haul your bikes and fly the TLD colors with pride at the same time!
2016 Troy Lee Designs Tailgate Pad Highlights
- Durable taurpaline exterior and nylon webbing.
- Super plush fabric on inside to protect your truck’s sweet paint job.
- Individual bike straps with hook and loop closures.
- Larger than normal outside flap to cover all tailgates.
- Compatible with 26”-29” wheels.
- 2 sizes available Small 55” and a Large 63”.
That just about does it for this 2016 TLD Collection overview. There’s plenty more to discover though, so get on over to the website and get busy snoopin’. Finer dealers worldwide have the goods as of today.
Photos by Johan Hjord, Nils Hjord, and Tal Rozow, unless otherwise noted.